Sell-Out

The following rant is not very eloquent. For some reason the words didn't write themselves this morning. I think I'm just distracted.

What exactly is up with this:

Quite often, when I told people I was voting Badnarik, they told me that "He wouldn't win." They told it to me with the same blank, semi-confused yet self-righteous face that Yankees fans use when they say "the Yankees will take the pennant" when they're up 3-0 in a series.

It's a weird, 'if you aren't behind the winner, your wasting your time' mentality that I can't get my mind around. WTF is wrong with these people? The point of voting is not to Win, it's to change the course of history by making your convictions known. And hell, if my primary conviction in life is to--damn the consequences--vote for the winner, then I'm going to drop all my other moral convictions as well and just turn into a sell-out.

Because, when it comes right down to it, that's what I hear when people say "You have to vote for the one that might win." They're saying "sell-out. Your personal convictions are not as important as being on the side that gets to throw a victory party."

That's just pathetic. It's times like that when living in America just pisses me off.

Thursday, November 04, 2004

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home