the drain at the bottom of the pool.

How does this work?

I've never been here before. It's a little disconcerting for me to visit places that I don't regularly go. I sound like a six year old spilling a glass of milk.

"Oops. I'm sorry. I don't know how that happened."

Laughter leaves a bitter taste in the mouth of the offender, and I am anything (everything?) but the victim here.

How does one who all too easily sees his own future reflected in the eyes of others claim "I never thought this would happen to me."?

And the only thing that I regret is that I caused her harm. Why can't I regret my actions for their own sake? Why can't I be critical of me? What kind of complex do I have that allows me to look at the sins and shortcomings of my life without a hint of regret or remorse beyond that I have caused others pain?

Am I that hollow? If so, everything I profess, everything I'm known for, and everything people assume about me is all wrong.

Y'know they put the drain at the deepest part of the pool. . .and everyone thinks of that point as the part with the most depth, but it's also the part with the most potential to make everything around it shallow.

Friday, April 30, 2004

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home