Sunday seems Slower than Normal.

I'm locked out of the Art Building.

That annoys me. I have pictures to develop!

Grr.

So I'm in the 24-hour lab, access to which, inexplicably, my BearCard still provides.

Now that's an interesting thing, since I expected Rajeev to refresh the access list and kill my permissions.

Ohwell. I guess that's one of the major advantages of schools where everybody is really relaxed about getting stuff done. It's sortof like what I hear Italy used to be like, with its casual reliance on things happening when they got around to happening. I worry for Mercer if they ever get a Moussilini as a President and the "trains start running on time."

Just stopped and had a conversation with a girl about my typing speed. Interesting. I've been debating switching to DVORAK for years, as many of you are probably aware, and have never gotten around to it. I probably won't.

Oh, it's time for a product endorsement (Yes, dear Readers, I sold out. All six of you may now close your browsers in self-righteous indignation ;).

I'm writing this entry from within a Mozilla FireFox window, and I have to admit I'm impressed. I'll be downloading and installing it when I get home. It's got some features that I'm quite happy with, (the dictionary lookup, while subtle, is especially cool, and the built-in Google search bar is sweet too). Tabbed surfing is my new best friend, so my style of reading (several windows of News, Forums, MA/Gaming sites and Comics open simultaneously) will be much aided by this feature.

In short, I'm happy with my new toy.

Aside from that, a rant about photography:

Power Lines Suck.

I realized that this was one of the things I liked the best about New York, and what makes Manhattan so astoundingly picturesque: It has almost zero exposed power lines. They're all buried and building-to-building.

I was in Savannah last Tuesday--a town I've wanted to conquer/sample/ravish with a Camera for some time (like, almost 4 years)--and I kept finding myself visualizing shots that would have been brilliant compositions if not for the bisection of the view by an inconveniently placed power-line! They were everywhere! Always breaking up the flows of houses and trees, and just generally stomping across my vistas all day. In the end, I didn't get half of the Savannah-style shots I had originally imagined would be so fantastic because, well, they weren't there. To me it seems that my mind, once it is familiar with a boring visual feature of life (like a Power Line, or a Sidewalk) stops bothering to factor in its effect on the picture. However, with a camera in hand and my mind set on processing the raw image as a potential for the visual sampling that my Camera performs, I find myself suddenly noticing unsightly cars parked in the wrong place, or a telephone pole that I'd previously never seen.

It's quite frustrating. But somehow I think I'll manage to survive. (sigh).

In the meantime, I seem to have written a rather long rant. Sorry about that.

I'll leave you now, and hopefully get back to the topic I mentioned in my last update sometime tomorrow. I've got things to say about it, and some other things that I suspect are its close relatives.

Sunday, July 18, 2004

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home