Stereotypes

Y'know. . . stereotypes suck.

A message To the World: Just because I get along with the people that you don't doesn't make me one of them.

Just because you're ultrapractical about your clothes and I can talk fashion doesn't make me gay. Just because I know how an AND gate works and you don't doesn't make me a geek. Just because I can talk to a guy and know how to smile appreciatively while he babbles on about his 'awesome 9th level wizard' doesn't make me a D&D nerd. Just because I know how the action on a pistol should feel doesn't make me a gun nut. Just because I refuse to play your games doesn't make me antisocial. Just because I laugh when you cry doesn't make me cynical. Just because I weep when you giggle doesn't make me sensitive.

Stop trying to put me in the two dimensional boxes you build to categorize the people you don't begin to understand. I don't fit in any of them, and you can press and push and insist and argue just as long as you want, but every time you open your mouth and another wasted misunderstanding leaps from your lips it just makes me that much less likely to think you have any hope of understanding me.

I am not a freak. I am not a geek. I am not your mother's boyfriend. I am not your father's long-lost son. I am not your miracle worker. I am not your average bum. I am not the end of the world, nor am I it's beginning. Trying to classify me is an attempt to catch water in a sieve.

Listen to some Bright Eyes and remember that I introduced your friends to them. Listen to some Linkin Park and I am hidden between the lyrics. I am Hanz Zimmer and Millencolin. I am Guster and I am Maroon 5. I am every band you love and I am half the bands you hate.

I am the sushi you think you are good at making. I am the pasta dish you never quite get right. I am the water you burned when you tried to make it boil.

Your fences are too short, your boxes are too shallow, your mentalities too limited to contain me. The best you can hope is that one day you might classify me as unclassifiable, and then you might be closer than you've ever been before.

Thursday, July 29, 2004

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home