Spin and Pin.

This weekend I did the first groundfighting I've done since Louisville, 2004. 22 Months.

In fact, the past few weekends have brought back experiences and memories. Things I had given up on, or sworn off, have come back to me in new packages and new forms. Groundfighting is one of those things. Ironically, other things that have been regular standards in my life for two years are falling by the wayside to make room.

I go to church. I don't drink much anymore. My world is writhing underneath me and I'm going to pin it when the opportunity presents itself. I can almost feel it coming on, almost taste a temporary victory on my horizon.

The groundfighting comes now from my roommate, a veteran wrestler through high school (3 years) and a very athletic fellow. He is my superior, in both weight and strength, by a significant margin, and I have much work to do before I will be his equal.

But nothing cheers me so much as a challenge to which I know I can rise.

If you know me in meatspace, you've probably heard me say it, but it is always worth saying again:

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Sunday, June 04, 2006