Hang your head and Weep

Someday, when I've mastered three foreign languages, traveled around the world, received honorary doctorates from multiple schools as a best-selling author, and completed all those other pipe-dream milestones we expect in our fantastic imaginary futures, I will write a book about Melancholy.

I think the title shall be "The Sanctity of Melancholy: Recapturing the blessings of darkness."

Our world views any and all depression, any frustration or sadness or bittersweet longing as a problem to be solved. That's why, as of February 2000 more than 115 million Zoloft perscriptions had been written in the United States.

Thats a perscription for every third citizen. For a single drug in the family of anti-depressants.

We have built a social stigma around sadness. Successful people aren't sad. Good people aren't sad. The "right kind of people" aren't sad. If you aren't happy something is wrong.

I disagree. I am going through a period of darkness in my life, but I am content in it, I am learning through it, and I must admit I am savouring the bittersweet nature of this period of my existence. I am taking time to dwell on my regrets and learn from them. I am allowing myself to be saddened by my memories. But that's ok.

There's nothing wrong with having the blues.

Or maybe there is just something wrong with me? Who knows.

Sunday, September 19, 2004

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home