Tears for New Orleans

Good morning America, How are ya?
Don't you know me? I'm your native son.
I'm the train they call the City of New Orleans
I'll be gone five hundred miles when the day is done.





A short update today. No personal news. Katrina has hit New Orleans really hard and I know you all are probably tired of hearing about it, but if you aren't, here are some things worth hearing.

New Orleans' Mayor Ray Nagin gave an interview with a radio station a couple of days ago and it is making the rounds now. The transcript can be found here (thanks Fark!), and the very powerful audio recording is also available (via Violet Blue).

There are several sites to which you can donate, but the one that makes the most sense is probably the American Red Cross (this link goes directly to the donation form). The money can be directed to your local chapter or to specific causes (including Hurricane relief) as you see fit.

And if you have family in that area or just want information about the city, there is a city damage wiki called Scipionus. Each red teardrop represents a piece of information about the current state of the city. If you're looking for data about friends, or want to know if the childhood home you grew up in still stands, this is the place to go.

I haven't been to the big easy in a few years, but I loved the city when I was there last. For all its dirt and corruption and crime and sleaze, it is still New Orleans, full of light and bakeries and booze and laughter. She's our city, and she's worth saving.

Saturday, September 03, 2005