Talking Verses Doing.

"Light Side Jedi spout off about becoming more powerful than you can
possibly imagine. Dark Side Jedi take over the universe."

A brilliant man wrote that years ago, and I've kept it in a file called "Interesting Junk" for over half a decade now.

I ran across it today. I think it is worth considering. What exactly does Obi-Wan manage to do with his 'power greater than Darth can possibly imagine'? Apparently he gives some cheat codes and hints to a teenage blonde kid, and that's pretty much the end of it.

Vader can crush people's will to live with his mind. I think he can imagine more power than a hypothermia-induced hallucination saying "Hey, go see my old short green muppet friend."

So when it comes right down to it, are we "do-ers" or "talkers"?

I'd rather be a doer, personally. I'd rather treat the people around me with blunt honesty, and be about my business, then beat around the bush and expect others to do the same for me. I don't have the time for it. There's a galaxy out there to conquer.

Of course, that kind of mentality gets me in trouble often. Many people (even the most direct of them) rarely expect to get a taste of their own medicine, and when someone tells a man flat out that he's wasting his time talking about things he doesn't understand, he rarely takes it well. I guess that hurts because I've lost what I thought were strong relationships that way. But were they really that strong if telling these friends that they knew not of what they spoke offended them so deeply that they would destroy friendships to keep their pride intact?

Weakness comes to us in many disguises. I have learned that pride can be one of them.

Sunday, July 10, 2005

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home